Kala Chana Chaat Recipe VIDEO | Easy Black Chickpeas Snack Recipe
Protein packed kala chana chaat recipe made with boiled black chickpeas and spices. This lip smacking snack is a perfect for kids or for those mid meal hunger pangs.
But what is Chana Chaat? Chana Chaat is a tangy, spicy, crunchy salad made with kala chana, which is called black chickpeas in English, and potatoes (optional). The tang in the chana chaat comes from lemon juice or tamarind pulp juice. Green chilies and spices especially ground cumin and chaat masala are added to elevate the flavors. Freshly chopped onion, tomatoes and coriander is added to bring in the crunch along with boiled kala chana.
I usually boil a little extra kala chana or kala channa whenever I am making a curry. This is a practice I follow with every legume I cook. I always keep any of these legumes, Chickpeas, Black Chickpeas, Whole Green Moong, Rajma boiled and frozen for making quick snacks like chaat’s or salads. I also sometimes sprout them to make a healthy Usal recipe. These legumes are an excellent source of protein and keep you full for a long time. This keeps us from grabbing junk to munch on. The best part is that they are so easy to make.
How do you cook kala chana?
- Soak kala chana overnight in three times the water.
- In the morning, pressure cook soaked kala chana with salt for three to four whistles on low.
- Let the pressure release naturally. Once the pressure is out completely, open the pressure cooker lid.
- Check the kala chana by pressing one between your fingers. If it’s soft, it’s cooked.
- Drain the kala chana and retain the water in which it was cooked.
- If you are making a curry, use the retained water in it or simply use it to make chapati (flat bread) dough.
- You can freeze boiled and cooled kala chana for two weeks. Use them immediately to make curries, chana chaat, salads or even
- Hummus (try it).
This recipe is part of my Easy Snacks for Kids Video Series. Have a look at five other easy snack for kids, Buttered Corn Recipe, Apple Fries with Cinnamon Recipe, Roasted Chickpeas Recipe, Roasted Makhana Recipe, Healthy Paneer Fries Recipe.
Kala Chana Chaat Recipe
Protein packed kala chana chaat recipe made with boiled black chickpeas and spices.
- 1 cup Black chickpeas boiled
- 1/4 cup Tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup Onion chopped
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Coriander finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
Mix together everything for a lip smacking snack. Yes, its that simple.
Serve at room temperature.