Vegetarian Mexican Rice Recipe VIDEO | Restaurant Style Mexican Rice
The best vegetarian Mexican Rice, easy to cook, and a compulsory side dish for burritos, tacos and other Mexican Recipes. This Mexican staple Red Rice is delicious side dish made with tomatoes, fresh hers, garlic & jalapeño, corn, onion, beans and Mexican Spices.
I often make this Mexican Rice for burritos or open burrito bowls. It’s my go to recipe when I am entertaining guests. I don’t fail to impress my guests with an open burrito bowl made with this Mexican Rice. Mexican rice is also my go to side dish for Mexican recipes like corn Chile or tacos. This red rice recipe is slightly spicy, has a lot of texture from corn and beans, very flavorful because of mexican spices and fresh herbs. I can have them plain without any accompaniment. Let’s see how we can make a burrito bowl with this simple red rice side dish.
How do you make a burrito bowl?
- Place a few spoonfuls of Mexican Rice in a bowl.
- Top with salsa and pico de gallo.
- Drizzle sour cream on top.
- A side of grilled protein, like paneer (cottage cheese) or chicken, spiced with Mexican spices completes the meal bowl.
- A few slices of Avocado increases health and the creamy in the dish.
- Sprinkle some cheddar if you like.
- I love a sprinkle of crunchy nachos on top.
This recipe is made with cooked rice so it’s not the authentic Mexican rice recipe. Then, how do you make authentic Mexican Rice? Authentic Mexican rice is cooked in canned tomato puree and water and spiked with garlic, onion powder. Bell peppers, tomatoes are added towards the end to bring some texture to the dish. Some of the aromatics or spices used in Mexican Rice recipe are cumin powder, oregano, garlic, onion, cayenne pepper, jalapeño pepper, fresh cilantro and lime.
Vegetarian Mexican Rice Recipe
The best vegetarian Mexican Rice, easy to cook, and a compulsory side dish for burritos, tacos and other Mexican Recipes.
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp Celery chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp Jalapeno Pepper chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp Coriander finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup Onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Carrot finely chopped, boiled
- 1/4 cup Rajma kidney beans, boiled
- 1/4 cup Corn boiled
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 cup Tomato puree homemade*
- 1 cup Boiled Rice
- 2 tbsp Coriander or parsley chopped
Heat oil in a medium sized pan. Once it's hot, add garlic, celery, jalapeno and stir for half a minute.
Now add coriander and red chili flakes. Stir for half a minute.
Add onion and stir fry for a couple of minutes. Now add chopped tomatoes and stir for a few minutes.
Add carrots, rajma, corn and mix well. Add salt, pepper, cumin powder, oregano and mix well.
Now add tomato puree and stir until most of the water evaporates (couple of minutes).
Now add boiled rice and mix well. Garnish with fresh coriander or parsley. Serve hot.
For 1 Cup Homemade Tomato Puree - Add 2 cups of tomato puree to 2 tbsp of hot oil and simmer down to half it's quantity.